Saturday, June 7, 2008

Panda knows Kung Fu


I got to watch Kung Fu Panda with my kids yesterday. I tagged along because no one else was available to take my kids to watch it. I thought it was going to be a kiddie movie like Madagascar, which to me was okay, but the humor for grown ups was a bit lacking. I was proved wrong.


The start of the story was pretty cool, all 2d animation anime-esque style but later on it proved to be a dream sequence of Po, the titular Panda. It was fascinating because it gives the impression that 3D CG characters have 2d dreams. Anyway, it's the usual from zero to hero story, but writers of Kung Fu Panda made it more interesting by incorporating Chinese Zen philosophies, and some really wicked dialogue. Jack Black, who voiced Po the Panda, got it all right and I'm thoroughly convinced that since he's a fat guy and the character's the same, he was able to associate himself with it and provided some of the best sensibilities a voice actor can do.
Dustin Hoffman, did particuarly well as Master Shifu (I hope I got it right) and the rest of the voice cast was pretty decent as well.
While the movie lacked references to pop culture, it wasn't that big a loss since the story itself is quite engaging.


As for the animation, Kung Fu Panda provides one of the coolest CG animations around. The fight scenes were downright wicked, especially when Po and Master Shifu were training. The fight between Tai Lung was even more impressive. You can probably say that it got some pointers from another CG animation Final Fantasy: Advent Children.


To me, Kung Fu Panda got all the right elements for a decidely fun and interesting CF movie. It's got tons of eye candy, great story, wicked dialogue and humor to satisfy even jaded adults (like me).


Go see the movie. I'm pretty sure, you won't be disappointed.



Now, this isn't entirely about Tech, Gear and Games but I just like to write something about it. Maybe I'll change the name of the blog to something different in the very near future.


No comments: