Sunday, May 18, 2008

Reading Comics again



For the last several months., I've bought a number of comic books because I'm trying to rediscover my long lost passion for this form of literature and entertainment. Just check out Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. In 2005, this graphic novel was one of Time Magazine's 100 Best Novels.


I've never really heard about Watchmen until a friend of mine lent me his book in 2000. I read through it but unfortunately I had to give it back because he had to give it to one of his friends.


It took me 8 years before before I actually bought my own copy of it and to me it is simply one of the best comic books that I've read in my close to 30 years of reading comic books. It isn't a comic book. It is a graphic novel.


While I'm more of a mainstream kind of comic book reader and collector, (collecting Marvel, DC, and Image comics) , Watchmen has in some way opened my eyes and mind to read more of this kind of graphic novels and other alternative comic books. I checked out Lucifer from Vertigo and I'm utterly intrigued with it. I also got a number of John Constantine Hell Blazer TPBs (collected issues) and I'm hooked.
I've got the Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. I have the four issue 1985 First print issues and got the collected edition as well. Bought it from a guy at eBay and it was worth it.
So hopefully I'll be to sink my teeth again in reading and collecting comic books. If you've got any suggested comic book reads, I'll be more than welcome to try them out.






No comments: